We are seeking a patient-focused Occupational Therapist to create and implement a plan for returning patients to optimal physical health. The Occupational Therapist provides services that help improve mobility, relieve pain, and prevent or limit permanent physical disabilities. The goal of the Occupational Therapist is to enable patients to confidently and independently carry out everyday tasks or activities.
- Perform diagnostic exam to evaluate and assess patient needs in coordination with medical professionals
- Coordinate with referring physician and other medical providers to develop occupational therapy treatment plans in consultation with physicians or by prescription.
- Educate patients and family in the prevention of injuries by teaching them new ways to approach tasks and break down activities into achievable components.
- Regularly meet and communicate with a variety of healthcare professionals to ensure successful patient treatment outcomes
- Fabricate custom-made splints, and communicates with the physician to ensure the patient receives the correct splint
- Document findings and administered treatments to better assess patient response to treatment and other relevant information
- Supervise the technicians or aides to ensure any interaction with any patient is within their scope of practice
- Perform written re-evaluations in preparation for patients return for follow-up Physician appointments
- Evaluate the results of occupational therapy by observing, noting, and evaluating patient’s progress; recommend and implement adjustments and modifications.
- Complete discharge planning by consulting with physicians, nurses, social workers, and other health care workers
- Other duties as required
- Proven experience treating patients in an orthopaedic setting preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of principles and practices of occupational therapy
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working with diverse patients
- Must exhibit professional behaviour
- Valid licence to practise occupational therapy
- Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree from an accredited university occupational therapy program
- Specialty certifications, such as CHT, preferred